Wow, somehow two weeks just slipped by without logging onto this site at all. It all started when Zach finished his busy season, and I had planned to stay offline as much as possible that week to celebrate. It’s been SO good to be back on a “normal” work schedule with entire weekends and evenings to hang out. We just love doing life and parenting and chores and cooking, all of it, together. He’s my best friend.
Then last week, I focused on a big work push to get the Influence Magazine ready. This means behind-the-scenes copy writing, editing, emailing, and compiling – and none of it is super pretty or inspiring to write about. Most of my words went into that endeavor, without much to write about personally. Sometime this month, I’d like to write about working from home again, because I’m finding it to be a very challenging (but worthwhile) thing to attempt. Nap times only last so long, you know? And sometimes one ball gets dropped, in this case the blog, for a couple weeks.
But I have some lovely posts planned for this month, and now that the magazine is rolling along, I can fit writing back onto my plate. Let’s do a little recap of this month, first…
- (Bible) Pick a verse to memorize: prov. 18:21. This was a win for me, because I found the verse popped into my head and really helped. I still have a long way to go, but I noticed that God is working on my heart.
- (Marriage) Speak life + hold my tongue. Work in progress (see above).
- (Self-Care) Walk outdoors. YES! Not only did we walk, but we’ve been gardening, drawing with chalk, playing on playgrounds, going on bike rides. This might be the most helpful self-care goal ever.
- (Celebrate) Easter with a Seder meal with our house church. The end of busy season with a family day! Check! The Seder meal was really beautiful, and I’m hoping to share more about it later. On top of that, Zach and I hosted an Easter dinner for family and friends, our first time hosting! I loved getting the table ready and spending the afternoon just hanging out together. We ABSOLUTELY celebrated Zach’s last day of busy season at our favorite breakfast spot, a trip to the zoo, and our first family bike ride.
- (Settle in) Prune the garden. Check. Gardening is officially my favorite hobby. Hands down.
- (Bible) Read life, then speak life.
- (Marriage) Talk through some big dreams we have for the future.
- (Self-care) Be outdoors + attempt to work out! (Ah! I still haven’t gotten a handle on this since having Thomas, but I know it will be so, so good for me to work out regularly.)
- (Celebrate) The little, everyday things.
- (Settle in) Paint the nursery! (inspired by this)
“Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” ephesians 4
These goals have become something I anticipate every time I turn the page of the calendar. I start each month feeling focused. I’m better able to let go of the little things to focus on what truly matters to me. Recapping each month gives me an opportunity to readjust and see some markers of how far I’ve come. 5 goals each month? That is 60 opportunities to grow during a year! Not that I do them perfectly. “Speak life” will probably be on every month from now until kingdom come …. but I’m open to the growth. I’ll take baby steps over stagnancy any day.
What are your goals, friend? Anything show up on your list month after month?