Let’s talk about gifts for her. Just like the other guides this year, each choice is sure to be loved and used for a long time. You’ll find perfect picks for all the ladies on your list – from your mom to your friend. I’ve also included some little add-ons for each gift so you can wrap something extra thoughtful and practical, instead of a mismatched assortment of gifts. And rather than your hubby going it alone on Christmas Eve, pass this list over to him for something spot-on lovely under the tree. Merry Christmas, friends!
1. FashionABLE Mamuye tote, $178. This distressed leather tote is not only going to get better with age, but it is handcrafted by women in Ethiopia who have overcome the most difficult of circumstances. I LOVE how classic, hard-wearing and versatile it is! The Heta wallet, $68, is the perfect pair for the tote, keeping all your essentials organized and within reach.
2. Fiddle Leaf Fig Tree, $32. Give her home a little burst of green to break up the long winter months. Fiddle leaf figs have sculptural, organic leaves and help filter toxins from the air in your home. If she really has a green thumb, try this larger tree for $100. I’ve had three of these plants for over a year, and here are my tips for keeping them healthy. For a newbie gardener, this collection of 5 air plants, $13, is a great starting place. They don’t need soil and grow really quickly if you just soak them in water about once a week. This modern metal watering can ($20) is cool enough to keep out on a shelf in between waterings.
4. Rifle Paper Co. Recipe Box, $40. If she likes to cook, give her a beautiful floral box, worthy of keeping out on the kitchen counter. A set of 12 recipe cards, $14 (the box already comes with 24 cards!) + a magnetic market list, $13, for grocery shopping will make meal planning a cinch.
5. Fresh Sugar Lip Creme in Rose, $27. I’ve used this subtle lip balm with spf 15 for three or four years, and it is the best upgrade from chapstick. It’s a little bit of a splurge, but it goes on glossy and the rose color just enhances your natural lip color. Perfect for winter when your lips get chapped! Give her a little beauty package with sea salt spray $5 for tousled beach hair waves and an e.l.f. eyeshadow palette, $10, with a spot-on combination of neutrals.
7. Everlane Crew Sweatshirt, $40. Cozy and simple, these sweatshirts always end up looking effortless. I like the light grey version paired with jeans and a dainty gold necklace. If you want something just as lovely for half the price, try the Everlane Drop Shoulder Tee in navy, $22.
8. Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake, $11 by Anna Quindlen is a book that has stuck with me all year. Her writing is wise yet relatable, and I love her take on so many topics – work, home, aging, parenting, marriage and friendships. Three more books I love: Yes Please, $9 by Amy Poehler is worth owning. I laughed out loud at her memoirs, but they were also incredibly deep and insightful. Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise, $11 by Ruth Reichl, is a feast of meal descriptions and self-discovery as Ruth dresses up to review the best restaurants in NYC. Big Little Lies, $10 by Liane Moriarty is another winner from one of my favorite fiction authors. Every time I read her books, I’m amazed at how she understands womanhood so thoroughly. Her novels are impossible to put down.
9. Paddywax Apothecary Candle, $20. Last winter I got hooked on Paddywax’s artisan soy candles. Their combination of tobacco & patchouli is such a winner. Plus, the jar can be decoration once the candle is burned up. So many candles burn sickeningly sweet or overly floral, but this one is plain delicious and earthy. For a few more yummy-smelling gifts, try almond shower oil, $27 and lavender salt scrub, $15 (or just $5 at a Trader Joe’s store!).
10. Lodge 6 Quart Dutch Oven, $77. This five-star rated kitchen pot is my favorite for soups and roasts all winter long. It looks so elegant sitting on the stove, and the white color makes food look even more delicious. If you need some recipes to get started, try zuppa toscana, simple overnight bread, lazy bolognese from Dinner: A Love Story, and The Pioneer Woman’s pot roast.
11. FashionABLE Druzy Ring, $78. I love rings for young mothers since they’re a little safer from tiny hands, but can step up any outfit. Druzy stones catch and reflect gorgeous light, and this one is sparkles in a 14K gold hammered ring. So beautiful. If you want to get more creative, build a customizable ring stack just for her.
12. Everlane Round Collar Silk Shirt, $78. A pure silk shirt is luxuriously warm and elegant. I prefer this rounded collar, which looks lovely peeking out under a crew neck sweater or on its own. The blush and navy are hanging in my closet, but the newest color – burgundy – also looks so pretty! I recommend going up one size so the shirt is a little more draped.
Well, there you go! I hope this simplifies your shopping, so you have extra time to spend with your loved ones celebrating the Christmas season. See all the 2015 gift guides HERE, and don’t forget this secret tip to save some cash shopping online!