Balancing feminine and masculine pieces in my wardrobe is one of the ways a small collection of clothes can still have enough variety and functionality. You can mix-and-match, or go very tomboy, or very girly.
Oxford shoes are one of the masculine pieces that I love to use to ground my outfits in the fall and spring. They are a little bookish and preppy, yet hardwearing. Everlane, Frye, and Madewell do oxford shoes very well. They’ll last for season after season. Grab a pair of no-show socks, although I often wear mine without socks.
Here are 5 ways I like to style mine.
- Paired with boyfriend jeans cuffed at the ankle, with a grey tee or cashmere crewneck. This is comfortable, relaxed, but the oxfords keep it from looking sloppy.
- Go streamlined with black skinnies and a black turtleneck swing sweater. This reads a little French artist or Diane Keaton to me.
- A flowy silk camisole with dark skinny ankle jeans. The ankle showing is key.
- Keep it super simple with a retro-shape dress that nips in at the waist. Perfect mix of feminine and masculine. Blush oxfords can really make your legs look longer with this outfit.
- On cold days, layer a cashmere sweater dress over tights. Sub in oxfords instead of boots for a more interesting look.
PS: Also, loafers.